ABOUT THE SURROGATE MATERNITY
WHAT DOES IT MEAN THE SURROGATE MATERNITY?
The Surrogacy — an auxiliary reproductive technology, in the application of which in the conception and birth of a child involved three people:
1) the genetic father — the person who provided his semen for fertilization and who, after the birth of the child, agreed to assume the duties of the father;
2) the genetic mother — the person who has provided her ovum for fertilization and is willing to accept the mother's responsibilities after the birth of the child;
3) the surrogate mother — the woman of childbearing age who agrees on refundable or gratuitous basis carry to term and give birth to a child from genetic parents and who does not pretend to be the mother of this child.
After the birth of the child, the genetic parents are registered as legal parents. In most cases, surrogate motherhood is used to overcome infertility in married couples in which a woman is not able to bear a child for medical reasons.
Surrogate motherhood is possible only with the use of extracorporeal (artificial) fertilization in gynecological clinics of the appropriate profile: the ovum, fertilized "in vitro", is transferred to the uterus of the surrogate mother during the first 3-5 days of embryo development.
In some cases, the use of surrogate motherhood can be combined with the use of donor sperm or donor eggs, in which case only one parent will be issued a born child. In Ukraine it is legally forbidden to the donor of oocytes to be a surrogate mother within the framework of one curative program (in other words, the genetic mother can not be simultaneously a surrogate mother).
The most precise wording is the wording adopted by the World Health Organization in 2001: "Gestational courier: a woman whose pregnancy occurred as a result of fertilization of oocytes belonging to a third party, spermatozoa belonging to a third party. She carries a pregnancy with that condition or contract that the parents of the born child will be one or both of the people whose sex cells were used for fertilization.". "Surrogate motherhood is the bearing and birth of a child (including premature birth) under a contract concluded between a surrogate mother (a woman who fetuses a fetus after carrying a donor embryo) and potential parents whose sex cells were used for fertilization or a single woman for whom nurturing and giving birth to a child is not possible on medical grounds."
Scientific and technological progress and the process of women's emancipation contributed to the search for new ways to solve the problem of infertility. Modern surrogate motherhood became possible after the emergence of artificial insemination and in vitro fertilization. This made it possible to obtain genetic material from genetic parents with the subsequent "replanting" of it for bearing and the birth of a child in a natural biological incubator - the organism of a surrogate mother.
For the first time, a successful surrogate motherhood was announced in 1980. The first surrogate mother was the 37-year-old Elizabeth Kane from Illinois. A woman who could not have children, since she had a blocked fallopian tube, signed a contract with Kane, through which she was given artificial insemination by the sperm of the wife of a barren woman, and after the birth Kane was paid a monetary reward. At the same time Kane had three own children.
Patrick Steptow and Robert Edwards were the pioneers of surrogate motherhood in the UK. Embryos of genetic parents, obtained as a result of in vitro fertilization, were transferred to the sister of a barren woman, and in 1989 she gave birth to a child.
The first case of bearing a child by a mother instead of a barren daughter was registered in South Africa in 1987.
By now, the surrogate motherhood has become a quite common occurrence. In particular, it was used by such celebrities as Sarah Jessica Parker, Nicole Kidman, Elton John, Michael Jackson, Cristiano Ronaldo, Ricky Martin, Shahrukh Khan, Annie Leibovitz.
INDICATIONS FOR USE OF PROGRAMS «SURROGATE MATERNITY»:
• absence of uterus (congenital or due to removal);
• deformation of the cavity or cervix;
• adnation in the uterine cavity that cannot be eliminated;
• high risk of miscarriage;
• habitual miscarriage (3 or more spontaneous abortions in anamnesis);
• general medical contraindications (severe diseases) to bearing pregnancy and childbirth;
• multiple unsuccessful attempts of IVF of inexplicable reason (with high quality of embryos).
Surrogate mothers undergo a thorough selection and a full examination.
Not every woman can become a surrogate. The surrogate motherhood agency is very serious about choosing a candidate.
Primary conversation of a psychologist. Examination of the gynecologist, ultrasound of the pelvic organs.
Delivery of tests:
• determination of the blood group and Rh factor;
• blood test for syphilis, HIV infection, hepatitis B and C;
• examination for infection: chlamydia, genital herpes, ureaplasmosis, mycoplasmosis, cytomegaly, rubella;
• general urine analysis;
• clinical blood analysis and blood coagulability;
• biochemical blood test: ALT, AST, bilirubin, sugar, urea;
• smears from the urethra and cervical canal to the flora and the degree of purity of the vagina;
• cytological examination of scrapings from the cervix and cervical canal;
• examination by the therapist and a conclusion on the state of health and the absence of contraindications to the bearing of pregnancy;
• general surveying and special gynecological examination before each embryo transfer attempt;
• the conclusion of a psychiatrist;
• ultrasound examination of the thyroid gland;
• ultrasound examination of mammary glands.
We are conducting a medical examination and screening the candidature of a surrogate mother who does not have medical and social contraindications to pregnancy and childbirth.
A surrogate mother must comply with the following criteria:
• age from 20 to 40 years;
• having at least one own healthy child;
• mental and physical health, goodwill, focus on cooperation;
• consent to conduct, if necessary for medical reasons, a cesarean section during childbirth.
How to search for a surrogate mother?
Often on the Internet you can find a forum with ads: "I'll become a surrogate mother. I want to become a surrogate mother. I'm looking for a surrogate mother. "
Why should you be cautious about such ads?
As a rule, the reviews are unflattering.
In most cases, applicants for surrogate motherhood do not know the selection rules and do not fit many criteria: they have an unfavorable obstetric-gynecologic history; Sexual infections; abortions; miscarriages; cesarean section; premature delivery; have children with diseases; genetic diseases. They may not be suitable for age or have children. They can suffer from alcoholism, drug addiction, smoking. Can be from a socially unfavorable environment.
There is also a high probability of blackmail and extortion from untested surrogate mothers.
Therefore, an agreement is signed on which a surrogate mother at the birth of a child, refuses in favor of genetic parents. Legal support and legal counseling are organized. An IVF cycle is performed, if necessary, using donated ovum. Conducting the pregnancy of a surrogate mother is up to 36 weeks, the organization of delivery in maternity hospitals in Kiev. Assistance in registration of the birth certificate of a child in the name of genetic parents. Complete release of genetic parents from contact and control of surrogate mother. During all stages of the survey, preparation and participation of the surrogate mother in the IVF program, the Surrogate Motherhood Manager of our company supervises the connection between the surrogate mother and the genetic parents.
The surrogate mother has nurtured a fetus with which she is not genetically related.
In her womb, using the IVF method, an embryo is taken from an infertile woman's ovum (or donor ovum), which is fertilized with the sperm of her husband or donor. No external and health features can be transferred to a surrogate mother by a future child. All genetic information is encoded in the embryo itself and he will inherit the traits of his genetic parents.
In case when several attempts of IVF were unsuccessful, surrogate motherhood can also help.